Sunset times
Sunset
17:14
Rainfall: 30 %
15 ~ 18°C

KAOHSIUNG HARBOR  CULTURAL FLEET OF SHIPS
Site Map/中文/Hongmaogang/Pier-2/British Consulate/Contact Us/ Viewed140094

4KAOHSIUNG HARBOR CULTURAL FLEET OF SHIPS4Swinhoe’s Adventure
Popularity(2614)

Map Swinhoe’s Adventure Kaohsiung Golden Triangle at Shore Cruise along Hongmaogang Cruise along Pier-2 Pier-2 to Hongmaogang Pier-2 to British Consulate
Swinhoe’s Adventure

Travel through time and follow the steps of Swinhoe, Takao’s first consul, on a marvelous trip.
Enjoy a feast of culture and knowledge both on land and sea through the eyes of Swinhoe.

This trip allows passengers to experience the journey of Taiwan’s first British consul, Robert Swinhoe, to Taiwan in 1861. When he was just a vice consul, Swinhoe was designated to take HMS Cook, a warship of the Royal Navy, to Taiwan to establish a deputy consulate. Affected by the southwest monsoon, the ship was unable to anchor at the Taiwan Prefecture (today’s Anping in Tainan) and so turned to the Takao Harbor (today’s Port of Kaohsiung) instead. Passengers can listen to stories about Swinhoe and the Port of Kaohsiung, as well as appreciate the charming British-style redbrick arches of the buildings of the British Consulate, the pure-white Cihou Lighthouse, the verdant Shoushan (Monkey Mountain) and the incomparable sunset at Sizihwan Bay. The numerous scenic spots and the cultural experience on the sea call for your participation!

 Robert Swinhoe (1836 - 1877) was the first British vice consul and consul in Taiwan, and he contributed a great deal to British consular affairs in Taiwan. In addition to serving as a diplomat, Swinhoe was also famous for his identity as a biologist. During his off-duty hours in Taiwan, he often embarked on a journey to collect data on a variety of new species. The international acknowledgement of the Formosan Macaque as an endemic species is one of his contributions.

Swinhoe’s Adventure
Nearby Tourist Attractions
  1. The British Consulate at Takao

    The British Consulate at Takao
    The British Consulate at Takao
    The official residence of the British Consulate was built on the hill of the Shaochuantou in 1879. An arched cloister was added to the residence in 1900 to prevent exposure to sunshine and rain, thus making the temperature here mild in the winter and cool in the summer. The series of semicircular arches stand in a rhythmic array, presenting the architectural aesthetics of the Renaissance Period. The British Consulate at Takao is now an internationally well-known tourist attraction.
  2. The Syongjhen North Gate

    The Syongjhen North Gate
    The Syongjhen North Gate
    The “Syongjhen North Gate” is the inscription on the lintel of the gate to the Fort on Takao Mountain near Shaochuantou Harbor. Syongjhen Fort is located at the north shore adjacent to Shaochuantou Harbor and is slightly higher above sea level. According to An Information Book of Fengshan County, “The Syongjhen North Gate Fort is situated at a key position adjacent to the harbor. It covers a periphery of several kilometers and has eight barracks and two batteries of guns.” In May of the 13th year of the Qing Emperor Tongzhi’s rule (1874), taking the incident involving Okinawa victims drifting on the sea as an excuse, Japanese troops landed on what is now known as Hengchun. Shen Bao-zhen was dispatched by the Qing Court to Taiwan for coastal defense. After the peace talks between the Qing Court and Japan in October, the Japanese troops withdrew from Hengchun in December. In the first year of the Qing Emperor Guangxu’s rule (1875), Shen Bao-zhen assigned Tang Ding-kui to supervise the construction of Syongjhen North Gate Fort and Cihou Fort to safeguard Takao Harbor.
  3. Dapingding Fort: No Longer in Existence

    Dapingding Fort: No Longer in Existence
    Dapingding Fort: No Longer in Existence
    In the 14th year of Guangxu’s rule (1888), Liu Ming-chuan built another artillery fort, Dapingding Fort, on Takao Mountain. In the 20th year of Guangxu’s rule (1894), he added two batteries of 4.5-ton Armstrong Guns (with 6-inch caliber) in Syongjhen North Gate Fort. Syongjhen North Gate Fort is relatively smaller in its scale and is an irregular oval-shaped fort. At its entrance, there stands a Chinese-style redbrick gate with five battlements bearing peepholes on them. There is enough room for several people to stand on the gate. The Chinese characters of “Syongjhen North Gate Fort” inscribed on the lintel show such powerful strokes that they echo the inscription of “Might That Shatters the Southern Sky” on the lintel of Cihou Fort. Soldiers’ billets and storage rooms are built underground at the two slopes of the entrance.
  4. Cihou Lighthouse

    Cihou Lighthouse
    Cihou Lighthouse
    After the Treaty of Peking was signed in the 10th year of Qing Emperor Xianfeng’s rule (1860), Takao Harbor was officially opened in the 2nd year of Tongzhi’s rule (1863). Due to the frequent use by commercial vessels, the harbor was in an increasingly desperate need of navigation facilities. Therefore, in the 9th year of Guangxu’s rule (1883), deputy commander of the Qing navy Wang Fu-lu hired British engineers to build a lighthouse on the northern tip of Cihou Mountain. The Chinese-style square redbrick lighthouse was equipped with a British-made grade-six single-filament time light, making its light visible about 10 nautical miles away to ensure the safety of vessels sailing in and out of Takao Harbor. It is a pity that the light is no longer in existence and only its foundation remains at the north of the lighthouse. During the Japanese occupation period, the Japanese sought to expand the Port of Kaohsiung, and rebuilt the lighthouse in the 5th year of the Taisho Period (1916). In the 7th year of the Taisho period …
  5. Cihou Fort

    Cihou Fort
    Cihou Fort
    To safeguard the safety of Takao Harbor, three artillery forts were built at the end of the Qing Dynasty respectively at the Dapingding of the Takao Mountain, Shaochuantou and Cihou Mountain based on the geological elevations. The highest Dapingding Fort, which has been covered in soil and dust, the second highest Cihou Fort and the lowest Syongjhen North Gate Fort at the Shaochuantou complemented one another and together formed a line of defense. The Records of the Fengshan County written in the 59th year of the Qing Emperor Kangxi’s rule (1720) registers the earliest record of the construction of Cihou Fort; it describes that Cihou accommodates an artillery fort, a beacon and an observatory tower. After the Botan Tribe Incident in the 13th year of Tongzhi’s rule (1874), the Qing Court dispatched…
  6. The Supposed Anchorage of the Commercial Vessel Ternate

    The Supposed Anchorage of the Commercial Vessel Ternate
    The Supposed Anchorage of the Commercial Vessel Ternate
    The Ternate, a decommissioned vessel of the Baoshun Company, was berthed in Takao Harbor. Swinhoe, who had been on sick leave in England, was sent to return to Taiwan to reestablish the deputy consulate in Takao in 1864. The Ternate served as a temporary office for him. Six months later when he rented a two-story Chinese residence in Cihou, Swinhoe finally ended the difficult days of working on the vessel. In 1865, Swinhoe was promoted to the post of general consul to Taiwan, and the diplomatic residence in Takao therefore became the Consulate.
  7. Banana Pier

    Banana Pier
    Banana Pier
    At the end of the 1950s, the production and export of bananas in Taiwan exceeded the scale in the Japanese occupation period and contributed an export value third only to those of rice and sugar. The Port of Kaohsiung was at that time an important transportation hub for bananas. However, before 1956, the Port of Kaohsiung operated with facilities built during the Japanese occupation period and was unable to satisfy increasing storage demands. As a result, bananas from across Taiwan were stored in unsheltered places, exposed to the sun and rain, and easily perished. In 1956, the Kaohsiung Harbor Bureau planned the expansion of the Harbor and started the project in July, 1958, after receiving a U.S. loan for the “12-Year Expansion”…
  8. Sinbin Pier

    Sinbin Pier
    Sinbin Pier
    Sinbin Pier is the ferry pier coded number one in the Port of Kaohsiung. It is located near Penglai Road of Yancheng District and has a water depth of nine meters. It is an important pier for shipping lines between Kaohsiung and Penghu, and once served as an important anchorage for the U.S. 7th Fleet. The Kaohsiung Branch of the Taiwan Navigation Company and the Sinbin Base of the Navy of the Republic of China are located next to the pier.


高雄市政府文化局
Postal Code: 80252 | No. 67, Wufu 1st Rd., Lingya District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan (R.O.C.) | +886-7-222-5136
2014 © Bureau of Cultural Affairs, Kaohsiung City Government. All rights Reserved. | In collaboration with Kaohsiung City Shipping Co., Ltd.